Busy and don’t have much time to go to the gym but you want to eliminate some unwanted fats? Why not try HIIT, HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training.
To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise.
– Gene Tunney
What is HIIT
High-Intensity Interval Training or HIIT is any exercise activity that has a fluctuating cycle in less time, from intense burst to low or could be at rest. Example, you will run as fast as you can for 5 minutes then stop for a minute (that is a circuit) then continue again for like 5 times. In this kind of training, it will increase your heart rate and improve your cardiovascular system while burning more fats and calories in less time.
Advantages of HIIT
- Lesser time – in less than 30min you can have a full body workout for both aerobic and anaerobic. You save time and can spend more to your other activities or to your loved ones.
- Good for your heart – as I mentioned above, aerobic exercise strengthens the muscles involved in respiration (heart valves) and to facilitate the flow of air in and out of the lungs. A good blood circulation reduces the chance to have hypertension, diabetes, stress, and increase cognitive ability.
- Boost metabolism – when I was doing HIIT, I noticed that I easily get hungry which means that it is true that it can alter your metabolism. Paired with diet then it will be very easy to lose weight if metabolism is cooperating.
- No need for gym equipment – HIIT can be done without any equipment, running is an example of an activity that you can do and apply HIIT. Basic running doesn’t need gym equipment because all you need is a space.
- Choose your favorite activity – running is my favorite activity but you can do compound of basic exercises to maximize the lesser time training. Some are adding this to their circuit (push-up, squats, jumping jack, sit-ups and more) just be careful and keep the good posture to avoid injuries.
Disadvantages of HIIT
- Injury – in every activity injury is inevitable and you must be aware of that especially that HIIT needs vigorous activities and requires you to give your 100%. To mitigate this, you have to wear protective gears, consult your physician, consult a trainer, keep a good posture, and conduct further research.
- Anxiety – This is the main reason why I stop for awhile on my body sculpting project because after gym I cannot sleep fast. HIIT keeps me active and it disrupts my rest time
- Not for beginners – HIIT is not really for beginners, again it s best to consult first your doctor and trainer and make sure to conduct enough research. Usually take first the easy movements, instead of running like do jog and walk for a while then increment the speed until you’re ready. Be very careful cause it could also cause rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of muscle fibers and enter the bloodstream and poison the kidneys).
High-Intensity Interval Training or HIIT must be carefully planned if you want to take this training for your health improvement initiative. HIIT is not for everyone especially if you are not that healthy due to age, past injuries, or congenital disorder. Seek a professional advice and do research, if this ain’t for you then the professionals can recommend other alternatives to reach your health goals. Happy Training! 🙂